Paxton House (Inn)
Paxton Inn, a historical treasure built between 1810 and 1819, played an important part in the social and political life of Old Washington. There were family connections between the Paxtons and the Marshalls of Federal Hill.
A favorite meeting place for lawyers and citizens to discuss politics and other issues of the day, including slavery. The Kentucky Telephone Company opened an exchange in the old inn after it passed through several owners. In 1966, the telephone company presented the building to the Limestone Heritage Foundation along with a cash gift to go toward restoration, which was led by the Limestone Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
After the restoration was completed in 2009, the Washington Visitors Center moved into Paxton House.
Many of the artifacts that can be found in Paxton House depict the history of Old Washington during the early years.
This was a station on the Underground Railroad when owned by Mr. James A. Paxton. There is a hidden stairway between the first and second stories of this brick structure. Three runaway slaves could be hidden until they could be safely moved across the Ohio River at night under the cover of darkness. The Underground Railroad was a path that led thousands of slaves from the South to the North to freedom. Over 2,000 slaves crossed the Ohio River from Kentucky to the safe haven of Ohio.
Costume tour guides are on hand from April – 1st week in December