Mefford’s Station was established by George Mefford of Maryland in 1787.
He and his family sailed down the Ohio River in a flatboat to Limestone, and Mefford then selected a site for his station about two and a half miles south of Limestone. Once the site was chosen, Mefford disassembled his flatboat and used the timbers to construct a home.
Mefford’s son John, born in Dec. 1787, was the 3rd child born in Mason County. Mefford, his wife Malinda and 13 children lived in the cabin.
The cabin was moved to the town of Washington (now part of Maysville) in 1969.